Quality care for those living with diabetes
Diabetes affects more than 25 million Americans, and is a major cause of heart attack and stroke. Midwest Regional Medical Center is dedicated to improving the quality of life for individuals living with diabetes through high-quality, comprehensive care and education. Our self-management program provides individuals with the skills and knowledge they need to manage the disease and avoid complications.
We provide care and education for type 1, type 2 and gestational diabetes, prediabetes, hyperglycemia and hypoglycemia through a full range of services, including:
- Assessments to determine individual needs
- Blood-sugar testing
- Individual training for insulin pumps and continuous glucose monitoring
- Nutritional counseling, including meal planning and weight management assistance
- Education and support groups
- Wound healing services
Diabetes education to promote healthy living
Being diagnosed with diabetes can be frightening. But, not controlling the disorder could lead to additional physical problems. It is important that you take steps to improve your lifestyle and learn to live with diabetes.
Midwest Regional Medical Center offers an American Diabetes Association recognized Diabetes Education Class for newly diagnosed patients, or those who just need a refresher course on diabetes management. Caregivers and family members are also invited to attend the class. Class instructors provide basic information about diabetes. The main areas of discussion include:
- A good understanding of diabetes
- How to manage diabetes through diet, exercise, and medication
- Blood glucose testing and how to interpret numbers
- Diabetes complications
- Up-to-date nutrition information
- Individualized meal plan
- How to understand carbohydrates
We provide nutrition and nursing experts who are certified in diabetes education. Our instructors are Diane Priest, RD/LD and Carolyn Seibold, RN, CDE, M.Ed.
For more information about the Diabetes Education Class, please call (405) 610-8930 or register online.